Summer is already here.
Some of us are still melting in the office during this first summer period while others catch the sun with a mojito in one hand and a smartphone in the other.
No matter what category you fall in, there’s still some time to get you ready to hit the beach.
Unfortunately, I’m not talking about your six-pack. This is already a lost bet. You had 11 months to work on it.
When you accept the fact that both you and I won’t look anything close to Ryan Gosling, there’s still a good chance that you’ll make a good impression.
Good news is that we’re in this together.
For this reason, I included all these summer grooming products that you’ll need to get your summer game ready and tame the waves. Become the King of beach towels. The Ultimate Beach Volleyball Champion.
Well, I think you get where I’m going with it.
Shaving products for the Clean Shaved Man
1. Safety razorIf you’re among men that like to have a clean shaved face, this is for you.
What’s a better feeling than shaving with razor and the cold steel touching your face. A safety razor will give you this smooth and deep shave you need.
2. Shaving cream and brushNow that you have a razor go ahead and complete your set. Pack a refreshing shaving cream (menthol perhaps?) and a travel size shaving brush and off you go!
This is all you need.
OK maybe you need food as well, but who cares?
These shaving products will leave you enough space in your luggage while offering you a pleasant shaving experience. Spoil yourself during these vacations.
3. AftershaveDid you think I would forget that?
We talked about a great wet shave, so there was no chance that an aftershaving lotion is absent.
That being said, my personal favorite during the summer is aftershave lotion compared to any other aftershaving products e.g. balms or oils. It gives a very nice and refreshing feeling on your skin offering the necessary hydration. The lotion cools your skin off and it keeps your face irritation (hopefully) free.
4. Electric shaverIf you’re a fan of dry shaving, then an electric shaver would be the best choice for you.
With an electric shaver you’ll keep your face soft, smooth and clean shaved.
Electric shavers might not give you this amazing feeling of wet shaving, but this doesn’t mean that you won’t enjoy it. You’ll get things like speed, convenience and flexibility to shave no matter the time and place.
If you’re planning to stay a long time at a certain location and you’re looking at instant shaving, a cordless electric shaver is the shaving equipment to put in your dopp kit.
Beard care products for the Beardsman
5. Beard TrimmerEven the beardsmen with the strongest beardwill (beard+will) think about shaving their beards off during the summer period.
And who can blame you?
The summer sun twists your mind and plays with it like singing sirens. It makes you think of things that you would otherwise reject at first instance.
I wouldn’t recommend you something like having your beard shaved off. Instead, I would definitely advise a beard trimmer to groom your beard.
With a beard trimmer you will maintain a shorter beard during the summer and this will allow your face to remain cool during your lazy days under the hot sun while keeping a nicely trimmed beard at a decent length.
This way, by the time your summer vacations are over, you can get back on track to growing your beard once again. No need to shave it all off and start from scratch.
For guys with longer beard however, this wouldn’t be the best solution. Beard trimmer would be best for men with full beard that aren’t looking to grow their beard very long.
6. Beard oilIf you follow this blog, you already know how much of a big fan I am of beard oil.
I know that wearing a beard during summer is challenging. I’ve been there for three summers.
It’s not only that it gets your face warm. Just like hair on your head, your facial hair needs equal, if not more, attention.
This gives you only one option.
Apply beard oil with your hands or with a natural hair brush and make it look awesome again.
Do this and you’ll make your beard irresistible to stroking once again.
Beach mode body care
7. Body TrimmerWhat did you think? That would just go to the beach so easily?
Just like your beard, your body might need grooming and trimming as well.
I’m positive that we passed the time when the “ape style” was in fashion. I’m not saying that you should completely shave your entire body. But it’s a great idea to start with body grooming and make your hair a bit shorter than it is.
Besides the fact that a properly trimmed body looks great and I dare to add, better that a shaved one, it also feels great. On top of that, trimmed body hair doesn’t feel itchy compared to shaved one when the hair starts growing back.
Think about it.
There are a few essential things that happen when you trim your body hair and I summarize them.
- With less body hair, you feel less warm.
- Your armpits don’t sweat as much as they used to and deodorant lasts longer.
- Your can dry your body hair much faster.
- It shows that you care about the appearance of your body.
8. SunscreenNo doubt that this is the alpha and omega of summer products you need to have packed with you.
Over the past few years, the sun has become hotter than ever before. The least you can do is to protect your skin from the harmful UV rays.
I don’t say that you shouldn’t get a proper bronze tan. Make sure you put enough sunscreen with high protection during the first days of your hot summer vacations. After a few days of sun exposure, you can get a sunscreen with lower protection for a darker tan. I wouldn’t recommended low protection sunscreen but it’s your skin, your rules.
9. After sun body lotionWe discussed already how you need to protect your skin from the sun. Your work isn’t done yet.
After spending a lot of hours at the beach, your body gets dehydrated. Same thing happens with your skin.
Applying after sun products, you make sure that your skin gains back the lost moisture and you keep it healthy and soft while preventing your skin to age faster.
Face care during hot summer
10. Face washA good face wash does not only wash your face but it also exfoliates it.
All this salted sea water, sand dust and sun rays make your skin suffer. A good face wash can make your face feel clean and refreshed once again and bring things back to normal.
11. Face creamSame thing with your body, you need to treat your face even more carefully.
The sun dries up your skin and makes it age faster. In this case, you need to protect your face and apply some (after sun) face cream to keep your face moisturised.
Remember that there’s no shame in protecting your face and skin.
You only live once but it’s better to live once, while looking and feeling great.
Don’t forget your hands
12. Hand sanitizerDo you remember how many times you were at the beach and you wanted to wash your hands and there was no running water? I do…
Every single time!
Now, if you have a small hand sanitizer with you, running water would be one less problem to think about for your hand hygiene. If you have water with you, it’s better to drink it instead.
13. Shampoo and conditionerJust like your skin, your hair requires your attention.
Sea water together with the sun will make your hair dry and dull. Choosing a great shampoo and conditioner can bring back your hair’s lost freshness and health.
Even though we tend to skip conditioner when we wash our hair, it’s good to remember to apply it at least during summer. It will make a hell lot of a difference.
14. Hair pomadeYou can’t just go to the beach with your bed hair, can you?
Of course not!
Looking good isn’t just a thing for going out at night. If you respect your appearance, you’ll need to properly style your hair even when you go to the beach.
No matter how long your nicely styled hair is going to last, you can apply some hair pomade right before you head to the beach.
From my experience, pomade is the least greasy hair styling product to apply on your hair. And it’s not only that.
When you take a dive in the sea, pomade will wash off faster compared to other hair styling products (e.g. hair styling gel or paste).
All you have to do is apply just a little hair pomade to keep your hair nicely styled and go ahead and impress.
Other products to consider
15. FragranceI know that this might seem too much, but fragrances can boost your confidence when you go to the beach.
Just like your appearance, a great scented fragrance is of equal importance to make you feel great. After all, we’re all animals and smelling nice is something that we all appreciate.
One thing that you need to be careful though.
Fragrances don’t allow your skin to breathe properly. For this reason you need to be pay attention to two things.
- Don’t apply too much fragrance. Only a couple of “psits” are enough.
- Try to find a summer fragrance with light scent and it doesn’t feel sticky on your skin when you sweat.
Below, I list the fragrances that I like and wear during the summer. I hope you like them too.
16. Eye dropsThis might seem a bit unnecessary but to me, it’s a must have product.
Many of us get dry eyes during summer mainly due to spending a lot of time outdoors in windy and sunny conditions. This can make our eyes dry and red. For this reason, these “artificial tears” can provide your eyes with a great relief.
Recommended productsThera Tears | Alcon Systane Ultra | Murine Tears
17. Nail ClipperEasy there Tiger!
Before you go to the beach and reveal your claws, you might want to think about your mating strategy.
Having properly trimmed nails is something that doesn’t go unnoticed. Take care of them so that your friends stop being afraid to give you a handshake.
Personally, I prefer nail clippers to scissors since they make it easier to cut your nails. Besides the ease of cutting, you can carry it everywhere by just throwing it inside your bag without having the fear of cutting yourself or messing up your belongings.
Did I miss something? What’s your most important grooming product for this summer?